Interesting Debate Topics and Tips on How to Debate Effectively
Some of the topics that you might want to use for academic debating. This also includes tips on how to debate effectively.
There are some of you who are having a hard time finding interesting debatable topics to argue. I am here to give you some of the topics and their strong arguments which might be usable for academic debates.
Modern Technology destroyed the soul of humanity
- Technology destroys family ties
People nowadays prefer to be sitting in front of their televisions and computers instead of eating with their families during meal time.
- Technology makes people lazy.
Most people are getting lazy due to the fact that their work is just a push of a button. Other than being lazy alone, this can also make people obese that will lead them to more serious problems.
- Technology negatively affects employment rate.
Manual works are now being replaced by machines in factories that are why many are left unemployed.
- Technology strengthens family bonding.
We should remember that there are some children who are away from their families; it could be because of schooling or their parents working abroad. It is only with the use of our modern technology that they would be able to communicate.
- Technology makes faster.
We are now in 21st century, and the demand of mass production, it is only with our modern technology that it would be made possible.
- 3. Technology makes work easier
We are not anymore in the era where Egyptians would still pull stones to make their pyramids. It is with the modern technology that the burdens of employees nowadays are lessened. It will never mean that we are getting lazy for it does not change the fact that you are still working.
- 4. Technology helps employment rate increase.
Technology aids the construction of the companies all over the world, and the fast growing sought companies of today are the call centers especially in the Philippines.
Media is stronger than the government
- The government has the power to close down any media company that serves as a threat
- The government only uses the media as an instrument of their action
- Any media company has the power to destroy the reputation of the administration of the government
- The media can reach larger coverage of the community
The Church and State be United
- The Church can guide the state with their decisions
- In the history of the Philippines, the Church and the state were united; instead of the government getting better, the Church became much more corrupt
- The Church has the tendency to abuse its power by excommunicating those who are going against her
Other interesting topics:
- The Government has the right to demand birth control
- America’s intervention in every war
- Euthanasia is legalized as an alternative solution
- The bigger the salary, the lesser tax is imposed
- Resolved, that abortion is generally legalized
- Diploma needed to be called successful
Here are also some tips that will give you a better chance of winning debates:
- Avoid Fallacy
- Circulus In Probando
- Argumentum Ad Ignoratiam
- Post Hoc
- Poisoning the Well
- Hasty Generalization
- Argumentum ad Misericordiam
- Dicto Simpliciter
- Speak Confidently.
- Have an eye contact with your audience.
- Speak clearly
- Avoid inappropriate gestures and sounds.
The judges and the people listening to you would be able to understand what you are saying. Instead of saying the expression “ahhmm…” every time you forget something, it would be better that you pause for awhile.
- Always stick to the Facts. Remember that debates are not won by self opinionated theories but through the legitimate evidences presented.
- Listen to the opposing side passionately.
- Take note important details.
It will leave the impression to the judges that you really know everything that you are doing.
Start by finding the meanings of these fallacies, for if you cannot do that it will also mean that you will not also be able to prepare well for your arguments.
One characteristic that a debater should possess is the attitude of researching much into deeper details.
Those are just some of the tips on debating. I hope you liked it. God Bless Us All!